Sunday, September 12, 2010

"Mi casa es tu casa"

Sept 4, 2010 - It was a bit stressful going into the unknown.  I boarded a plane to Arequipa without a clue in the world as to who was picking me up or where I would be staying.  And it's not that I didn't ask.  The gal with Peru Mission in Trujillo (which is about a million hours away from Arequipa) who was setting everything up for me via email, just couldn't find out.  She seemed pretty confident that I would not find myself alone at the airport, without a phone, unable to understand anyone.  After the relief of finding all my checked bags in decent condition, I slowly waltzed out to see that there were indeed no signs with my name spelled incorrectly.  Great.  Perhaps if I just keep walking no one will notice that I am completely lost, while I figure out what the heck to do. 

Well it wasn't long before I heard a sweet voice say "Yvette?" from a senora looking up at me as I walked by.  "Bienvenida!"  Turns out my new host parents like to play a little game "guess which chica in this crowd is coming home with us" which is why they didn't ask anything about me (or tell me about them).  We talked and laughed all the way home.  I am in good hands.  I now live with a brilliant and fun family of 5 who speak English well but prefer Spanish around the house in order to help me learn.   
There are three other boarders living with the Peruvian family.  Two Germans (or Alemans as they are called here) and another Peruvian (who is learning Aleman).  I have my own room on the second floor of this 3 story house.  There is a guitar lying around which is awesome.  They have tons of American movies that I promise to watch with Spanish subtitles.  The kitchen is always stocked with avocados, dried corn, fresh fruits and many other good things to snack on.  I only pay about $10/day which also includes prepared meals (the food here rocks my socks off), laundry and housekeeping.  The dogs that live on the roof and bark all day are included.
I can't get enough of this common Peruvian beverage made of pureed key limes (including the rind) and a little sugar.  So smooth and refreshing.  Apparently lemons don't grow in Peru so this is their alternative to lemonade.
Notice the froth!  Must drink immediately or it turns bitter.
Went to church Sunday.  Turns out my host father is the pastor.  Groovy.  It was all in Spanish, so I listened to Pastor Hatcher via headphones at home afterward.  Love technology.

4 comments:

  1. Yvette! Glad you started a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Love it, Yvette. Keep all the info coming! Sounds amazing. Yep. Another fantastic sermon today to download.
    MISS YA! Haneymania

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the game "which chica is coming home with us". Hilarious! Take a picture of your food sometime, sounds mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great photos and stories! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete