Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Not that hungry anymore

Have I mentioned how good the food is here?  My host family has been kind of impressed at how much I love it all, no matter how different.  I missed lunch at the casa today. Instead of eating together for dinner, most Peruanos have a late lunch as their main meal and then just snack for dinner.  Our house does this.  I was out at a birthday party and therefor missed it today.  Not long after getting back, my ever hungry belly growled so I peaked into the fridge to see if there were any leftovers to grub on.  I found the promising container with ?pollo perhaps? grabbed a fork and popped it open....(click read more)            

Okay I can eat just about anything but I draw the line at chicken feet.

Smells even worse than it looks
Closed it up and pulled out a box of cornflakes.  So glad I wasn't here for that meal.  Wonder if my German roomies ate that.  So weird.  Suddenly homesick.  These folks are not who I thought they were.  I was still in shock when Chi Chi (host mom) walked into the kitchen with her ever cheerful "Hola!  Como estas?"  She laughed so hard when I asked "So do you eat the chicken feet with rice or potatoes?"  "That's for my dogs!"  She proceeded to pull out the chicken WINGS with peanut sauce leftovers.  "We should try to serve it to Lisa and Joel as a joke" (German roomies who aren't quite as jazzed about Peruvian cuisine as I am).   

1 comment:

  1. Yvette that is amazing! How relieved are you that they don't eat chicken feet? That picture is disgusting, by the way.

    (Chicken wings with peanut sauce sounds amazing. Who wouldn't be jazzed about that?)

    Take care lady!

    ReplyDelete