Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Well hola

Sept 1, 2010 - After an overnight flight from LAX to Lima, I arrived on (what I was told) the coldest day of the year.  Anyone who knows me knows about my affinity for gloomy weather, so this was elating.  Groggy eyed, I passed through customs to find a sweet Peruvian man waiting with a sign he made saying 'YVETTE BREDOSSIAN'.  I met his son over the summer, Giancarlo who was the primary instigator of my coming to Peru.  We took a taxi (traffic in Peru is blog worthy but maybe another time) to the house of Gian's Aunt Patica and cousin Jenny where I spent three noches.  During this time I was treated like royalty.  We ate out, celebrated Gian's father's birthday and tramped all around town.

People watching at Lima's Historical Center
I got to help Jenny brush up on her English while she taught me some Spanish.  I couldn't believe how fast people spoke in Lima.  They told me it will be different in Arequipa, a smaller city.

We went to a really awesome old monastery turned museum that didn't allow photography inside.  Whatever.  I sneaked one pic of the ossuary, but oddly the photo turned out all black.  Spooky.  Anyway, here's the outside:

Jenny and Patica graciously helped me arrange a flight to Arequipa where I will attend 3 months of Spanish school.  I get to come back to Lima for a few days in December on my way back to the states.  Jenny promised we'll go out dancing then.  Woohoo! 

No comments:

Post a Comment