Sunday, January 15, 2012

As we were walking back to the Bethesda clinic Thursday after lunch, there was a young mom waiting for us patiently on the curb in front of our temporarily closed doors.  I had never seen her before.  She was guarding her right wrist.
"What happened?" I asked, taking a closer look at how red, swollen and deformed it was.
"I fell, 16 days ago, in the market."
"Still hurt?"
"Very much."  She jumped when I manipulated it.
"Why didn't you go to the hospital?" (You know, to ONE of the TWO small hospitals in this county of over a MILLION people?)
"I did.  They told me to make an appointment.  There weren't any openings until three weeks later."
"The x-rays didn't show any fractures?"  Her eyes grew big.
"I can't get an order for x-rays until my appointment, which isn't for another week.  You do x-rays here?"  I wish we did.  Maybe next year we'll have those capabilities.  I was kind of appalled that this poor girl suffered so long with such an easily treatable injury just because it wasn't considered an emergency to whoever triaged her at the hospital.  Don't bones ossify?  Now she'll probably have to re-break the bones in order to have them set correctly.  
I asked our Peruvian doctor, "Is this really the way things are done in Peru?"
Embarrassed nod.
"Is it because she's uninsured?"
"Actually if you have insurance, it takes even longer to be seen."
"Really?  Now what would you do if it were your wife?"
"I'd have to call a colleague."
Backwards.  We did write her an order, free of charge, to go get x-rays taken.  Stuff like this continually reminds me to pray for our mission hospital to be complete.  If you or anyone you know is interested in giving to our campaign fund to help us finish the hospital, Peruvians like this woman can have a place to go and receive the help they need.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Yvette,
    I came across your blog via a photo that your Dad shared on facebook. We are friends with John and Alice and also know your Dad and Mom. You were little when we spent time with them so you may not remember us. Anyway, I am thrilled with the work you are doing in Peru. Our daughter Alexandra has also worked there with a lady named Doris (she is Austrian) and she has homes for orphans. Thank you for showing the love of Christ as you touch people with your healing hands!
    Wendy Debbas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's what happens to most people here in Peru, that they don't have the resources to deal with their illnesses and only people who know someone in the system or have a doctor in their family circle (like in my case) can actually treat whatever their problem is but that is prolly a 10% of the population, what about the other 90%? And if you get the chanve to be treated in a hospital you have to wait in line not just one day but many, by that time... you already learn how to live with that pain. It's so sad to see this kind of things in my country!

    Rosa Ríos

    ReplyDelete