Thursday, November 10, 2011

No pictures or words can do justice.

That's why it's so special to receive visitors from home who can experience life in Peru for themselves!  In September, Anna Garaway, a friend from Santa Cruz, California came and brought some much needed medicine donated by Dr. Karl Johsens.  She helped the mission move offices and did random jobs in the clinic such as entertaining children and arranging supplies.  She also accompanied me to a few beaches in Northern Peru that I had been dying to check out....
...including the one that's known for its realllly long waves.
 We helped cook for a couples dinner at the Manuel Arevalo Presbyterian church (planted by Peru Mission, and situated right next to the yet-to-be-completed Missional Hospital).  It was to honor married couples, a much need encouragement as marriage here is often considered an inconvenient and expensive nicety rather than well, biblical.  Statistics show that only 28.6% of Peruvians are married while 24.6% live with their partner out of wedlock.  There are even sectors of Peru where couple are not allowed to marry until they have lived together four years!  Pastor Wes Baker spoke at the event and did a fantastic job.

Just a few days after Anna moved on from Peru to Costa Rica, I went to pick up my dad in Lima!  Within just a few hours of being in Peru, he commented, with his Lebanese accent, "This place is so backwards, pretty much like where I grew up."  First, we flew to Cusco, did the city tour, and I got altitude sickness.  The next day we took the Peru Rail to Aguas Calientes and hiked the Inka Trail!  Well only a small fraction of it.  Next time I would like to hike the whole thing.
Money Shot from the not-so-lost-city of Machu Picchu.
That night I marinated in the mineral baths while dad enjoyed cable and wifi in the hotel room.  Then we bumped into each other in the main square and watched little Peruvian Harry Potters, princesses, spidermen and pirates chanting "Halloween!  Halloween!  Halloween!" through the streets as they searched for candy.  The next day we toured the Sacred Valley which was absolutely beautiful.   


The architecture of ruins like that of this Inkan fortress town called Ollantaytambo (on the way to Machu Picchu) inspired me to draw up in my head my dream-house made of big stones that fit just like puzzle pieces, while we road back to Cusco.


 
We had a blast eating like royalty, stocking up on handmade baby alpaca things, meeting all kinds of fun and interesting people from all over the world, and then running into them again in the markets and at the ruins and restaurants and train stations.
  After all the fun I brought my dad back to Trujillo to see Peru Mission and where I live and what I do.  The comparisons to where he group were innumerable.  We celebrated his 64th birthday and he made a Middle-East feast for my friends who in turn made frozen limeade and taught him how to salsa.  In the clinic, he painted some much needed signs for us.  The adventure of buying the paint and brushes was a fun one that I'm sure he would love to tell you about some time over a cup of Peruvian tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment