Thursday, October 28, 2010

Zapallo Madness

I think everyone who has ever been around me during the fall season knows about my obsession over anything pumpkin.  From pumpkin beer, to pumpkin soup, to candles and smoothies... yeah.  Well the closest thing we have here is the zapallo.  "It's not the same," I was told but that didn't stop me from trying.


(Sorry all of these pictures are out of order.  The Blogger post editor has a mind of its own.)
Went to the local market to pick out said vegetable
which is normally sold in pre-cut portions but...



....didn't think I would chance it when these guys are hanging out just a few feet away.
So I bought a whole one.
And MAN was it heavy.




Hulled it home and threw it in the oven.  Our house mom noticed me trying to cut into the darn thing AFTER roasting it, with absolutely no success....so she grabbed the saw and had at it.  Now the smell concerned me a little.  Okay a lot.  I began to understand why the locals all looked at me funny when I explained my endeavor to make something sweet with this squash.  


First, we made cookies.  They turned out....edible.
The bread turned out better, thanks to the load of cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, cloves and ginger I threw in.  I had had the pleasure of trying zapallo soup (amazing) about a week prior so instead decided to make curry!  Pictured above is my buddy Julie enjoying that.  
For everyone who asked (especially Lisa) here's the recipe:
         Stir fry a chopped onion in some oil for about 15 minutes.
Throw in some garbanzos, the juice of a lime or two and some water.
Let that cook until the beans are soft.  You'll need to add more water as it evaporates.
Throw in the roasted zapallo and pour in a truck load of curry powder (not kidding) and cinnamon.
Throw in a cut-up chicken breast that has been soaking in a few cloves of garlic and lime juice.
Shave off some of the peel of your limes to add more fresh flavor. 
If you have fresh ginger laying around, it wouldn't hurt to add some of that.
If you like it spicy,dice up a hot pepper.
And lastly (and very importantly) pour half to 2/3 can of coconut milk and more curry powder to taste
Serve over rice with golden raisins, fresh cilantro and
freshly toasted cashews or sesame seeds (if you like).

3 comments:

  1. Test. Be sure to post pics of strange plants that you see. Now I want that squash for my collection

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this story. One question. What the hecko do those heads belong to??? Horses???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goats! Funny, there's a picture of me holding a baby goat on FB (under 'I got a camera') and your mom's comment says 'Matthias just came in here and said, "wow, that is a weird looking dog!?' I had to teach him about goats just now..."

    ReplyDelete